It might help to chat to our students before you arrive – why not connect with one of our ambassadors?
Find out more about opening a UK Bank Account, including information about the choice of banks, documents you require and key contacts for support
Opening a Bank Account
When you arrive in the UK, you may wish to open a bank account. This is entirely your choice. It is wise to do some research into what the different banks offer students as their services can differ. Below is a list of the banks available in Uxbridge and in the area:
- Metro Bank
- Nat West
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Santander (branch on campus)
- Islamic Bank of Britain (in Southall)
- Bank of China (Central London)
Almost all banks offer standard student accounts; however, with some banks, students can also get additional benefits including freebies and interest-free overdrafts.
You will need to prove your student status when opening your account, and these supporting documents:
- Your passport and valid visa (including your BRP) if you are an overseas student
- Your passport or National ID card (if you are from the European Union)
- Proof of student status and proof of address in the UK and in your home country, (this will only be available once you have completed in person enrolment. You can self-serve a bank Letter from the My Letters tab in eVision
Working Out the World of Work
As a student in the UK, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week, usually at the national minimum wage. You must not rely on part-time jobs to fund living expenses or pay tuition fees. Any income earned from part-time jobs should be seen only as a supplement to established sources of funding.
It’s also important to know that everyone who works in the UK must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions. If you have a part-time job offer or can provide evidence that you are actively seeking work, you can apply for an NI number. Please contact Student Services for further information on how to apply for an NI number once you arrive at ICP, or explore the resources UKCISA offers international students.