It might help to chat to our students before you arrive – why not connect with one of our ambassadors?
It’s exciting when you are about to start a new adventure – moving to the UK and beginning your studies abroad will be an adventure like no other!
However, we understand that it can feel overwhelming too. A period of adjustment, homesickness and maybe even culture shock during your transition to life in the UK is normal.
If you do experience any of this it’s important to seek support. If you need advice on academic or personal matters, you can speak to a member of our Student Services team at any time. We are here for you as you settle into life in the UK.
In the meantime we have some tips to help you get settled:
You are eligible for student discounts when you arrive that will make it more affordable for you when purchasing services and products. Here are a few of the options you have:
- NUS Card can be applied for via the NUS website for student discounts in many major high street stores
- You can apply for a rail card for discounted train tickets
- By entering your university login details on the Unidays website, you are able to unlock a multitude of discount codes for retail stores
- Similar to Unidays, Student Beans offers discount codes after logging into your university portal via their website
- Some of the most popular supermarkets are Tesco, ASDA, Sainsburys and Co-op. Most of them offer loyalty cards which give you access to discounts and special deals when shopping in-store.
Buying your Essentials
- Food, generic toiletries and cooking utensils: Supermarkets like Tesco, Co-op, Sainsburys, ASDA, Waitrose
- Specific toiletries or pharmaceuticals: Boots, Superdrug and Lloyds the Chemist
- Bedding and Homeware: Dunelm, Argos, Matalan