Undergraduate Pathway in Life Sciences
The Department of Life Sciences runs courses in Biosciences, Environmental Sciences, Life Sciences, Psychology and Sport Health and Exercise Sciences. With a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research, and a commitment to excellence, we aim to push the boundaries of understanding our environments, human health and performance.
Your Pathway to Brunel University London
*All Brunel University London Pathway College course fees may be subject to a review. Brunel University London fees are a guide only and are subject to change.
Upon successful completion of your pathway programme you will progress onto Brunel University London. Find out more by watching the video below.
- Biology 1
- Biology 2
- Chemistry 1
- Chemistry 2
- ICT Skills
- Interactive Learning Skills and Communication
- Maths for Science and Computing
- Research Methods, Critical Thinking and Expression
The principal aim of the programme is to enable students to linguistically and academically negotiate the transition from school to university and be prepared for the demands of an undergraduate degree programme in an appropriate Life Sciences discipline.
The programme syllabus is designed around the acquisition of core academic skills and literacy development that underpins successful higher education: academic, research, IT, critical thinking and the promotion of self-awareness. Students learn through a combination of formal, interactive lectures in relevant content areas, interactive seminars, practical laboratory sessions and IT-enabled self-study opportunities: practical application of theoretical knowledge allows students to develop further skills and understanding of relevant topics and concepts.
Formative assessment opportunities are incorporated into each of the module blocks in the form of homework assignments, Moodle exercises and the opportunity to submit assignment draft for review prior to submission. The focus on academic literacy development in all parts of the course ensures that students develop strong linguistic competence and advanced numeracy skills as well as a mastery of their discipline at an appropriate level.
Through the course, students will be encouraged to engage appropriately with peers and tutors as members of an academic community. This will involve the development of critical self-awareness and personal literacy as students become more attuned to their identity as global citizens.
This is an intensive programme with 16 hours per week and a corresponding number of ongoing assessment tasks designed to provide a scaffolded structure for students at this entry level to Higher Education.
Formative assessment opportunities are incorporated into each of the module blocks in the form of regular homework assignments, Moodle exercises and the opportunity to submit an assignment draft for review prior to final submission. Each of the blocks will make use of the Navitas Moodle Virtual Learning Environment (typically for additional module resources, but also for blended content, as well as quizzes and coursework submissions).
Private study should be additional reading to support both the lecture material and as research for assignments.
This pathway leads to the following Brunel University London degrees:
- Biomedical Sciences BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Sciences (Biochemistry) BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Sciences (Genetics) BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Sciences (Human Health) BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Sciences (Immunology) BSc (Hons)
- Environmental Sciences BSc (Hons)
- Environmental Sciences MSci
- Life Sciences BSc (Hons)
- Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Psychology (Sport, Health and Exercise) BSc (Hons)
- Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences BSc (Hons)
Careers and your future
Your degree offers excellent job prospects and access to a range of careers within science and many other industries.
This course will prepare you for a career in a diverse range of fields such as the sport, health and exercise industry, biomedical research or ecology and environmental management. It will also prepare you for further study and research in life sciences.
Our Professional Development Centre is creating a range of exciting and unique life sciences placement opportunities to help you develop your professional skills.
- We’re ranked 6th in London by the Complete University Guide 2022.
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology
- Our students can opt to spend a year working at top companies like Mars, Parexel and Bayer in Germany
- We offer two work placements giving you the chance to experience both psychological and clinical work environments
- We’re ranked top 10 in London by the Complete University Guide 2022.
Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences:
- Brunel ranked 3rd for sports subjects in London (The Complete University Guide 2021)
- You’ll get to study in our modern physiology and biomechanics laboratories as well as train on the same running track used by Olympic legend Usain Bolt
- Our students can spend a year working in top football clubs like Chelsea and West Ham. There is also the opportunity to study at San Francisco State University
- The Environmental Sciences team at Brunel are previous winners of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize
- The courses are based on the 15 ‘most wanted’ skills identified from a national employer’s survey by the Natural Environment Research Council
- Our students will graduate with a unique mix of skills, giving them a competitive advantage in the employment market
- Our computational data analytics stream has been designed to equip Brunel graduates with the skills that are increasingly required by employers
- Our students have the option to broaden their horizons by studying a non-science subject